Wednesday, May 2, 2007

CUNNILINGUS; a.k.a. pgs. 1-16

Prior to page 14, all writing was a realistic description of the town of Holcomb and its inhabitants (including the Clutters). However, Capote could have never met the Clutters and so even this description is not a primary source. The first thing I have to learn while reading this is that not everything is real and there truly is no way to fully understand fact from fiction. We can only discern so much as we are given and Capote is in no way a lacking writer. His skill gives his story telling a great fluid feeling that only adds to my task at hand because as any good writer, storyteller, or liar for that matter, knows that the key to believability is a congruous story with no seams that can easily rip apart the fibers of the tale they are telling.

Now to get on with the real assignment; the first notes I made where on page 14 when Capote compared Herb Clutter’s morning eating habits to those of Perry Smith. This comparison serves to connect the killer to the victim with a real detail about the two. One reoccurring stylistic trait of Capote’s that is only serving to confuse me more is his use of parenthesis. His first occurs on page 14 and confuses me because the information within is not startlingly fact nor fiction. He includes very specific detail along with dialogue which makes me believe that although it may be based on research, that is it probably more creative writing than reality. However, I have read up to part II: “Persons Unknown” and Capote continues with the occasional use of parenthesis and it seems that every time I must reevaluate its credibility.

Because I’m nearing the word requirement I’m going to delve into one more aspect and cut the pages covered short, I’m sure I will make up for this because there are many pages with only dialogue to decipher. Character Description. When Capote is describing Smith’s physical demeanor, diction plays a huge part in realizing that although Smith is a murderer, he seems to be intrigued by him. He could have easily said “He had small feet and wore boots and was of short stature.” Instead he decided to elaborate with details and similies to describe Smith’s appearance which help to create a great starting point to help with my separation because I now know that any events with Smith directly involved may be distorted with Capote’s artistic license.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brittany, I'll reply to you as seeing that Karl hasn't posted anything yet. I like the points you make in saying that everything before page 14 is basically just describing Holcomb, which it is. I did not draw the same conclusion, I just saw it as Capote trying to paint a "quiet town" for the reader so that the murder of the Clutters would seem that much more shocking. But I see your point as well and I think that it's insightfull. The only critque I really have for you is when you're talking about Capote's use of parentheses (don't know if I spelled that right). I would just suggest to add in a few examples of when he uses this just so you can directly state what you are trying to prove so that the person reading this doesn't have to flip through the book to see what you're talking about. But other than that good job!